Wildcats softball sweeps Seawolves on senior day in Chico

The four Chico State seniors Karli Skowrup, Haley Gilham, Cyrena Taylor and Mia Quintero all have been a crucial part of the Wildcat’s 39-3 season. Skowrup currently leads the CCAA in RBIs while Gilham leaves Chico State as the all time wins leader. Photo credit: Martin Chang

The Chico State softball team couldn’t have asked for a better senior day, as they successfully completed a four game sweep of Sonoma State.

The Wildcats defeated the Seawolves 6-2 in the first game, and finished with a 2-0 victory in game two. With the wins, Chico State has officially clinched the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) regular season title.

Before the game, a brief ceremony was held to commemorate the four seniors on the team. Haley Gilham, Mia Quintero, Cyrena Taylor and Karli Skowrup were all recognized with their families beside them.

Two of the seniors, Gilham and Skowrup, had especially big days on the field.

Gilham tossed yet another complete game to earn her 19 win on the year. Gilham limited the Seawolves to just five hits while giving up one earned run in game one. With a runners at first and third in the top of the sixth, enter Gilham for the final for outs of the game to earn the save.

“Being able to start my last conference game on the home field and finish it, it definitely helps leave a mark,” said Gilham. “This team is crazy and we get along really well so it’s going to be hard to let that whole experience go.”

Fellow senior second baseman Karli Skowrup also had a huge day at the plate. In the bottom of the third inning, Skowrup launched a three-run homer to left center field. It was her 10 home run of the year and the perfect way to celebrate senior day in front of her friends and family.

“It felt awesome. It’s nice to see all the hard work and practice pay off on a day like this,” said Skowrup following her homer. Skowrup is third in the CCAA in home runs and leads the league in RBIs with eight games to go.

The team has set its sights on nationals this year and bringing the Western Regionals back to their home field where they went a perfect 20-0 this season.

“I want to make it to nationals. I don’t care how we do it, as long as we get those wins and get to nationals, that’s all I want to do,” said Gilham.

The Wildcats next play at 1 p.m. Friday at Humboldt State.

Austin Schreiber can be reached at [email protected] or @aschreiber94 on Twitter.