Two more records broken as Wildcats finish perfect 20-0 at home

The Wildcats celebrate after clinching the No. 1 spot in their conference. Photo credit: Martin Chang

Another homestand, another sweep for the Chico State softball team as they finished a perfect 20-0 at home this season. With the four-game sweep came two more records broken for the Wildcats.

In the bottom of the third inning of game two Friday, third baseman Bailey Akins launched a home run over the left field fence for her 12 home run on the year, a new Chico State softball record.

“I knew it was gone off the bat. It was a 3-2 count and I was super focused on making hard contact. that is my main goal. It hit the sweet spot and felt awesome,” said Akins. “I was stoked rounding first base. I am pretty sure I screamed a little bit.”

Akins tied Hailey Stockman (2012) and Desiree’ Gonzalez (2014) for the single-season home run record March 29 against Cal State Dominguez Hills at 11. The team was aware of the record but of course had to stay quiet.

“It has been a thing that we’re all anticipating but not talking about it, Akins said. “Honestly, I am relieved that its done and over with. Trying to tell yourself not to think about it automatically gets you thinking.”

The Red Bluff local transferred from Simpson, a Division III school, and has not lost a step going up divisions. Her 12 home runs are just one shy of her total at Simpson last season with six game remaining.

Out of all the schools in the California Collegiate Athletic Association, Chico State has the furthest field, making the record that much more impressive. Chico State leads the conference in home runs while Akins is second in the CCAA and senior Karli Skowrup trails Akins by just two with 10. With six games to go, Skowrup has a chance to tie or possibly break the previous mark set at 11 as well.

Another record that was set this weekend came in the final game on the series, this time in the circle. Chico State pitchers Naomi Monahan and Haley Gilham combined for the Wildcats’ 16 shutout on the season, a new record as a team.

manohan resize.jpg

Naomi Monahan has three shutouts for the Wildcats and has been a solid No. 2 pitcher leading into her senior season. Photo credit: Martin Chang

gilham resize.jpg

Chico State will have a tough time replacing its all time wins leader and ace Haley Gilham. Photo credit: Martin Chang

The shutout that broke the record seem to come full circle for the ’Cats. Starter Naomi Monahan went the first 5 2/3 innings allowing just three hits before Gilham came in for the final four outs at University Softball Field for the combined shutout.

Chico State now travels to Humboldt and San Francisco State for its final two homestands before the CCAA Championship Tournament beginning March 4 in Stockton.

Justin Couchot can be reached at [email protected] or @JCouchot_Sports on Twitter.