• Tommy, a 3 year old Golden Retriever, interacts with students at The Well. Taken by Toby Neal on Feb. 28.

Bell Memorial Union is going to the dogs

• Signs with checkmarks on them. Created by Steven Amador on Mar. 1

CSU Board of Trustees to vote on Academic Professionals of America tentative agreement

Chico Fire responds to residence fire

Jake Miille
Chico Fire battles a house fire at East 20th Street. Photo courtesy of Chico Fire Facebook.

The attic of a residence at 490 East 20th Street was in flames Tuesday evening, when Chico Fire Division Chief Jesse Alexander arrived on scene.

According to Alexander, four fire engines, 17 firefighters, and more equipment was dispatched at 9:29 p.m. to the house fire. The westbound lane of East 20th was blocked for three hours as crews worked to put out the blaze.

“We were there for a good three hours,” Alexander said, “but we had (the fire) knocked down in the first 15 minutes.”

chico house fire.jpg
The blaze appears to have originated in the attic, according to Division Chief Jesse Alexander

Most of the flames were extinguished quickly, but crews and engines staggered out slowly to make sure the situation remained contained.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but Alexander did say the fire originated near the flue of the chimney in the attic of the residence.

Josh Cozine can be reached at [email protected] or @joshcozine on twitter