Associated Students 2018 Election results announced

Alisha Sharma, who served as interim president of Associated Students over spring 2018, has been elected as President for 2018-2019. Photo credit: Kate Angeles

Natalie Hanson

An email sent to all students opened online voting for the 2018 Associated Students elections on Wednesday, April 18, and the results have been announced.

Alisha Sharma has been elected president of AS. Sharma, who served this semester as the interim president, ran against Karla Camacho and Nadine Salas.

The position of executive vice president has been left empty as a write-in position. The position is pending verification of eligibility. The position for College of Communication and Education has also been left open due to write-in pending verification of eligibility. Both positions, according to Nan E. Timmons, are expected to be announced by Friday.

Two positions were elected by write-in, with Harley Malengwa elected for Commissioner of Student Organizations and Programs and Samuel Akinwande for Director of University Affairs.

In other leadership positions, the following candidates were elected.

VP of Business and Finance– Alex Williams

VP of Facilities and Services– Zachary Scott

Director Of Legislative Affairs– Elizabeth Blackford

The following were elected to the Commissioner Positions.

Commissioner of Community Affairs – Alejandra Becerra Silva

Commissioner of Sustainability Affairs – Tania Ruiz

Commissioner of Diversity Affairs– Prairie Francia

In the Senator positions, the following were elected.

College of Agriculture – Ellen Van Noy

College of Behavioral and Social Sciences– Trevor Guthrie

College of Business – Chris Taverrite

College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Construction Management– Brandon Gentles

College of Humanities and Fine Arts – Naomi Ramirez

College of Natural Sciences – Lizzie Wilson

Voting turnout was found to be lower this year than in 2017, at just 27% with 4,678 votes out of an estimated student body of 17,355.

More information can be found on the Associated Students website.

Natalie Hanson can be reached at [email protected] or @NatalieH_Orion on Twitter.