‘Cats guard breaks records, receives honors

Nicholas Woodard

Jazmine Miller_1.jpg

Jazmine Miller, a senior guard, plays defense XX night at Acker Gym.Photo credit: Frances Mansour

A career high in points. Two huge milestones reached. And CCAA Player of the Week.

Just another Saturday night at Acker Gym for senior Jazmine Miller.

The women’s basketball guard had a career night Jan. 11, scoring a career-high 26 points, passing former teammate Synchro Bull for 10th all-time in points and becoming the 10th player in Chico State history to score 1,000 points. To top it off, she earned the CCAA Player of the Week honor.

In the midst of such achievements, the best part for Miller was picking up the win.

The biggest part was getting the sweep,” she said. “We played good on Friday, and to come back and grind it out and play hard for the sweep made it that much better.”

Still, the records were special for Miller, especially passing a former teammate on a storied list of Chico State athletes. The teammate, Bull, had just so happened to give the star guard a pep talk before the game.

“That day she called me and asked what was going on,” Miller said. “It was a heart to heart that was really needed just because she’s not here like she was in the past.”

While these two are linked by their spots in history, head coach Brian Fogel notices more similarities between the pair.

“They both have a competitive drive,” Fogel said. “They’re both great open court players and they both have a great knack to stick their nose in and score.”

For Miller, this scoring ability cannot be forced. Miller said she has an unselfish style of play, and her teammates know that. She lets the game come to her and gets others involved.

That’s because a huge part of her game is feeding off her running mates, whether it be setting a great screen or getting open for a shot, she said.

Just ask her partner in crime, senior guard Courtney Hamilton, to back it up. Hamilton can rely on her, and said she has a comfort level with Miller that sets the table for exciting basketball.

“I know her tendencies, so I can throw it where no one’s at and she will be there in the end,” Hamilton said.

And don’t think that signature sweet shot was forgotten. Both Fogel and Hamilton attest that Miller works relentlessly to hone that perfect rhythm with her shot.

While she is known for her shot, Hamilton said one of the greatest parts about Miller’s game is her ability to do the unthinkable.

“Her shot is what it’s all about,” Hamilton said. “The greatest thing is that she’s small, but she’ll go out and get eight rebounds one game. She comes out of nowhere and does the unexpected.”

With the team moving toward a crucial stretch in the season, Miller acknowledged that there will be pressure to put on a repeat performance of her big night.

“I’m just trying to stay consistent,” she said. “I want to only get better each day. I have to keep on being a team player, and everything will come as long as I don’t force it.”

As the team battles for a position in the conference, she can add one more accolade to the list: gamer.

“In one word, Jazmine Miller would be a gamer,” Fogel said. “She’s never afraid to take the big shot, to drive to the basket, to shoot threes. She has the ability to piece everything together, and when that happens it’s really special.”

Nick Woodard can be reached at [email protected] or @nwoodard25 on Twitter.