Wildcats softball team set a new single season wins record with sweep of Jacks

Pitcher Amanda Flores had seven hits, six RBIs and her first home run as a Wildcat in the four game series against Humboldt. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography

The Chico State softball team improved to 43-3 in its four game sweep of Humboldt State. In doing so, Chico State also set a new single-season wins record, breaking the mark of 40 set in both 1980 and 2016.

One pitcher who has broken several records as a Wildcat had another strong weekend in Humboldt. Haley Gilham had two complete game shutouts and a save for the Chico State over the four game stretch Friday and Saturday. With Gilham’s two shutouts she now has 11 on the year, which tops all Division II pitchers in the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

The Wildcats clinched the No. 1 spot in the California Collegiate Athletic Association with their sweep of Sonoma State last weekend and maintain their No. 3 spot amongst Division II teams in the NCAA.

Over the four game series, the team continued to show why they are ranked No. 3 in the nation when Wendy Cardinali homered in the first inning followed by another home run from Amanda Flores in the third extending the Wildcats single season home run record.

The bats of the Wildcats wouldn’t stop there, in game two the team made a comeback in the seventh inning scoring four runs to take home the victory.

Karli Skowrup started the rally with a home run scoring Annie Weiss, tying the game at 8 even. Megan Bowley later doubled scoring Shelby Burdette who pinch ran for Claire Wayne giving the ‘Cats a one run lead. Bowley ended the inning scoring an insurance run on a fielders choice.

Softball

Claire Wayne rounding third after hitting a home run as she high fives Coach Shamblin. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography

Haley Gilham continued to make a name for herself during the trip to Arcata where she recorded her 11th shutout of the season which ties her for the most in a season by a Wildcat pitcher. After her wining series Gilham improves to 21-2 on the season where she now tops all CCAA pitchers in wins, lowest ERA (1.25), and shutouts.

Softball

Pitcher Haley Gilham is all smiles after a wining weekend against Humboldt State where she recorded her 11th shutout of the season. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography

This team continues to produce record breaking numbers as they climb their way to the top to possibly take home a National Championship. Even after locking in the No. 1 seed in the CCAA Championship Tournament coming up, the team is looking to host one of the two NCAA West Sub-Regionals scheduled for next month.

After a winning weekend against Humboldt State the ’Cats continue to power through each game and play harder and harder to ensure they can bring a playoff series back to Chico State.

Chico State now rides its 18 game win streak to San Francisco State Friday and Saturday for the final series of the regular season before the CCAA Championship Tournament begins May 4.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at sportsedit[email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.