Chico State men’s track and field claims CCAA Championship

Eddie King races in the 5,000 meter run. King finished first in the CCAA championship on Saturday. Photo Courtesy: Gary Towne. Photo credit: Gary Towne

With nine first place finishes, the men’s track and field team dominated the competition to win the California Collegiate Athletic Association championship.

Chico State scored 252.5 points, which was 89.5 more points than runner-up UC San Diego.

The first victory for the Wildcats came in the decathlon Friday as Randall LeBlanc finished first in three of 10 events. Teammate and Corning High graduate Alex Davilla finished second, winning three events as well.

Nolan Nagle and Wyatt Baxter were the other two first-place finishers Friday. Nagle won the shot put for the second straight year at the CCAA championships with a throw of 55-4 3/4. Baxter finished first in the 10,000 with a time of 34 minutes and 54.56 seconds.

On Saturday Tyler Arroyo won the high jump for the seventh time this season. His mark of 7-1/2 is now a CCAA championship record.

The next first place finisher was Sefa Ilaoa in the discus where he threw for a distance of 163-2.

“I’m very happy about my performance. I was able to score points for the team in all three of my events and take the discus title,” Ilaoa said. “As for my teammates, I’m extremely proud of everyone as everyone put forth their best effort and ended up taking the conference title.”

Later that day, Connor Fisher finished first in the 3,000 steeplechase while Kyle Medina finished first in the 1,500 meter.

The final two victories for the men were by Domo Mosley in the 400 meter and Eddie King in the 5,000 meter.

The Wildcats finished in the first five spots in the 1,500. King led the way, followed by Medina, Jack Johnson, Jason Intravaia and Baxter.

After the championship, it was announced that head coach Oliver Hanf was named Coach of the Year. It’s Hanf’s third straight year winning the award and fourth overall in his six years leading the team.

The women’s track and field team finished in third in the CCAA Championships, a half point behind second place Stanislaus State. San Francisco State won the championship by 88 points.

The Wildcats had two first place finishers over the weekend.

Megan Farrell finished first in the pole vault while vaulting over a height of 12-2, good enough for sixth best in school history.

The other first place finish was by Alex Burkhart in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:39.77.

Despite a second place finish in the 200 meter dash, Michelle Holt did break a school record with a time of 24.17 just .09 seconds behind the leader.

“I ran every race as if it was my last and it ended up working for me,” Holt said. “The team did an amazing job. They gave every race their all and they ran with so much passion.”

Holt also finished second in the 100 meter dash with a time of 0:11.75, which is the third-fastest time in school history.

Another Wildcat that got into the top five of the school record book was Hannah Dorman in the 5,000 meters. Dorman finished with a time of 16:36.12, placing her fourth in school history.

Chico State track and field competes next at the Portland Twilight on May 11 and 12.

Andrew Baumgartner can be reached at [email protected] or @abaum94 on Twitter.