Blacking out is no joke

Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Have you ever heard about or experienced a blackout? According to Duke University in a survey, almost 40 percent of students have blacked out.

However, just because you go to Chico State with a reputation that everybody loves to get drunk on the weekends and weekdays, doesn’t mean you should be part of this statistic.

Blacking out is considered to be a normal habit for many college students because of their inability to successfully drink safely.

Especially those freshmen, am I right? Usually, at frat parties, it is easy to spot them because they are not able to handle their liquor. You can’t blame them because they are still learning how to drink.

Personally, it kills my mood when I see others in this state. Whether it is someone being too drunk to even walk properly or that one person crying alone while sitting on the curb not knowing where they are, it’s just sad to witness. Even though you want to help them out, it is still hard to see this happen so often.

I can’t say I haven’t been there myself, because I did have moments which I have learned from. I just do not like the feeling of not remembering what I did or said, for obvious reasons.

But for others I notice, it is an actual motive they have for the night or day and that is something I can not relate to.

For instance, I casually overheard some frat guy the other day as I walking to class say, “I am trying to get as blacked as possible, tonight!” I can’t make this stuff up.

My question is why? Why would anybody want to purposely put themselves in a situation where they have no consciousness or recollection? Sounds like a big joke to me.

I can’t judge frat boy Jake. He could be going through some heavy personal issues that result in drinking away his sorrows. Or he might just be trying to fit in because of that lame motto “blackout or dropout.”

For whatever be his reason, my opinion stands strong that students should be more cautious with the amount of alcohol they consume. It can be really dangerous and while it might seem like common sense, it is apparently not for others.

Danielle Cortes can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.