Chico State degree costs about $90,000

Lizzie Helmer

This chart is based on estimates from Chico State’s Financial Aid and Scholarship office. Without factoring in financial aid, the average total cost of a degree for an in-state student is about $90,000

Next week hundreds of students will receive a bachelor’s degree from Chico State. It may be the most expensive piece of paper they’ll ever own.

Each year on the university website, the Chico State Financial Aid and Scholarship office releases estimated costs of tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation and personal expenses for a nine-month period. The model used for the chart below is based on a student graduating in four years with no summer or winter classes. It uses in-state tuition cost and does not factor in financial aid. The model also factors in on-campus housing expenses for the 2014-2015 academic year and off-campus housing expenses for the following three years.

Chico State also charges students a graduation fee. On top of this fee, many students need to purchase items for commencement, such as a cap and gown, stools and chords and graduation photos.

To view the chart below on a mobile device rotate phone sideways or follow this link:

https://create.piktochart.com/output/29937620-new-piktochart

Lizzie Helmer can be reached at [email protected] or @lizziehelmeron Twitter.