Administrators questioned about future of Institute for Sustainable Development

Debra Larson explains that ISD is being defunded but rather the university is having conversations about how to restructure funds for the program. She made it clear that elimating ISD wasn't going to happen. Photo credit: Alex Grant

Next semester’s student leaders were already hard at work Friday, checking in on an Academic Senate meeting.

The final Academic Senate meeting for the semester had deans from all colleges of the university celebrating their colleges and their graduates, with powerpoint presentations, speeches, and even song and poem.

Towards the end of the meeting, during the “Ask an administrator” section Maggie Scarpa, 2017-2018 AS Commissioner of Sustainability Affairs, asked about the future of the Institute of Sustainable Development (ISD), after hearing there could be changes in the upcoming semester.

Jared Geiser.jpg

Jared Geiser speaks to Academic Senator members about the importance of ISD on and off campus. Geiser said he didn't have any questions, but came to the meeting to advocate for the program in light of the defunding rumors he heard. Photo credit: Alex Grant

Maggie Scarpa.jpg

Maggie Scarpa listens to Debra Larson answer her question about whether the Institute for Sustainable Development will continue to be funded. Larson assured Scarpa that the program is not being defunded, but rather the university is in "conversations" about how to better rearrange ISD's funds to use that money more efficiently. Photo credit: Alex Grant

Jared Geiser, incoming 2018-2019 AS Executive Vice President, also advocated for the Institute, citing its work cleaning downtown campus neighborhoods.

In response to questions, administrators said no statements could be made. “In recognition of how important the work of ISD has been, we have been engaging in some conversations to explore ways to continue that work of ISD, but within a different type of structure than we currently have,” said Debra Larson, Provost for Academic Affairs.

Further information about the Institute’s status is expected to be released Monday at the final University Budget Committee meeting, in Kendall 206/207 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Concerned students are encouraged to attend.

Josh Cozine can be reached at [email protected]@theorion.com or @joshcozine on Twitter.