Meriam Library plays host to second annual Welcome Week Game Night

Christopher Hernandez holds up his prizes Sunday after becoming the first winner of the game Lotería at the Second Annual Welcome Week Game Night. Photo credit: Brian Luong

Over 100 Chico State students showed up to play games and compete for prizes while learning to navigate the Meriam Library, Sunday, before the first day of classes.

New students learned more about the library and its features through a variation of the game Lotería, a game similar to Bingo. Participants competed to fill custom-made cards with stickers by solving different riddles. At the end of the game students won prizes, many of which were games to take home.

The riddles directed students to cards throughout the entire library, highlighting many of its unique rooms and features. One riddle lead students to the lactation room on the third floor, while another riddle guided students to the Makerspace area on the second floor.

“The whole goal of the activity was to get people comfortable with the building,” said Instruction Coordinator and Undergraduate Engagement Librarian William Cuthbertson.

Optimized-IMG_1381.jpg
Winners of the game Lotería prepare to choose their prizes at Sunday's Welcome Week Gaming Night. Photo credit: Brian Luong

Cuthbertson added that the game night allowed students to meet each other in a more controlled and inviting environment where students felt free to join other groups and games without judgement.

Students played classic board games like Chess and Scrabble, newer card games like Imploding Kittens and there were also video games like Super Smash Bros Melee.

Cristopher Hernandez, a first year student at Chico State, was the first winner of the Lotería game.

Hernandez said he chose Chico State because after living in Southern California his entire life he “wanted to choose somewhere different.”

He noted some of the differences between his home town and Chico, comparing the activities, the people and the environment.

“The main thing is that there’s so much to do,” he said. “I’m more quiet so I find it pretty cool how people will come up to me.”

Optimized-IMG_1376.jpg
Stefani Baldivia announces the card "La Luna" in the game Lotería at Sunday's Welcome Week Gaming Night. Photo credit: Brian Luong

Hernandez plans to study Nursing but is also interested in pursuing Animal Science. He described himself as nervous, but prepared for the first day of classes.

“It’s different transitioning from high school to college. I’m curious to see how everything goes,” he said.

If you missed the gaming night Sunday, don’t worry. Meriam Library will continue hosting game nights every third Thursday throughout the semester in collaboration with Chico State’s Wildcat Gaming Club.

Brian Luong can be reached at [email protected] or @brianluongorion on Twitter.