Letter to: transfer students

Two polaroid images to express memories made at Chico State Photo credit: Rachael Bayuk

Rachael Bayuk

Dear Transfer Students,

First off, let me say welcome to the family; you have just started the rest of your life. At Chico State you can be whoever you want to be. Your past doesn’t have to define you if you don’t want it to. Transferring offers you a unique opportunity to redefine yourself and chase your dreams.

Take advantage of the many opportunities on campus. You pretty much have a five-star gym membership now, so check out the WREC. Don’t forget about the counseling center, your mental health means so much. Get acquainted with the landmarks and buildings on campus, it will come in handy. Also, there is a clinic on campus, utilize it! The Student Health Center is located right across from Whitney Hall. They provide services such as basic medical care, contraception and STI testing.

FYI there is the Hungry Wildcat Food Pantry – according to The California State University 2018 research survey 50 percent of students here at Chico State have low to very low food security. Similarly, in a 2017 study, food insecurity among college students surveyed was 15 percent with an additional 16 percent of students being at risk of food insecurity. The study found that with hunger can come other factors such as lower GPA and graduation rates. Never feel afraid to go there, the pantry is for you. The pantry is open to all Chico State Students, regardless of their situation.

Get involved! Join one of the over 240 student organizations on campus or go to one of the many on campus events. Introduce yourself to the person next to you in class, they just might end up being a big part of your life. As a Wildcat you get discounts on all the events (comedy, music, etc.). Check the campus calendar every week, this is were you will learn about guest talks and other cool free events.

We all have a big role to play in the future of our world. Politics are not a fun sport, for many people, they are life or death. Your words and votes have a true weight on the world, even if it doesn’t feel like it at times. Never be afraid to learn and stay informed. You are always allowed to grow as an individual, as a matter of fact I highly recommend it.

Above all else, know your self-worth. Do not let anyone make you doubt yourself, you are worthy of all the good this world has to offer.

These are all things I wish someone had told me my first week of classes when I transferred a year ago. I spent too much time in my head and not enough time expanding my horizons. I stuck to what I already knew and missed out on countless opportunities. Call it shy, scared or dumb… all I know now is that the world is meant for interacting with. Don’t miss out on a full year of people and places, you will end up wishing you had focused more on what was around you.

Now go out there and declare your place on this campus and the rest of the world!

Rachael Bayuk can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.