Looking Ahead to Fall Athletics

Senior defender Donta'e Garcia heads the ball away from the opposition. Photo credit: Ryan Mccasland

The fall semester has begun at Chico State and with that so do fall athletics.

This semester there will be plenty of teams to take an interest in; the always exciting basketball teams and the championship winning cross country teams.

Men’s Soccer

The men finished their last season with a 10-6-2 record, but were unable to defeat California State University, Los Angeles in the California Collegiate Athletic Association tournament, which ended their season.

Eight seniors are now gone, but the team has added 12 freshmen to their lineup. The team also hired a new Assistant Coach, Pedro Cortes-Garcia, to help the team this season.

Look for another productive year from the Chico State men’s soccer team.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer at Chico State had a similar record to the men at 11-6-2. The extra game came from playing in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Championship tournament.

Look for another successful year for the women as only three seniors are gone, keeping much of the same team from last year in tact.

Women’s Volleyball

Last year’s volleyball team went 17-14, including a 7-2 record at home. Chico State would play in the CCAA tournament, but lose in the finals to CSU San Bernardino.

Surprisingly this years team has no seniors, losing all six upperclassmen from last year. The team did add two new Assistant Coaches, Justin Beskeen and Francisco Contreras. They also brought back former Assistant Coach, David Irving ,to help this years team.

Cross Country

Both men’s and women’s cross country had incredible seasons that were capped off by both teams winning the CCAA Championship. This would be the tenth straight time the women have won it, but it would be the men’s 16th straight time as well.

In the West Regional the women would finish in third place, while the men would be named the champions of the event.

The Chico State women finished fourth in the national championship and the men finished in ninth.

Look for Chico State cross country to impress yet again as they look to keep their CCAA championship streak alive.

Golf plays four tournaments this semester, but will have the majority of their tournaments during the spring semester.

Basketball has yet to release it’s schedule for the year, we released our recap of the basketball team earlier in the week.

Andrew Baumgartner can be reached at [email protected] or @abaum94 on Twitter.