Women’s soccer plays in a third straight scoreless tie

Chico State defends against Seattle Pacific university during a scoreless tie on Thursday night. Photo credit: Wesley Harris

Wesley Harris

Chico State women’s soccer played in their third straight scoreless match Thursday night versus the Seattle Pacific University Falcons extending their home unbeaten streak to 17 games. Chico showed great improvement on the offensive side of the ball this game and put up a season high of 30 shots.

Chico State entered the contest after their first two scoreless matches, in hopes of getting their first digit on the scoreboard on the season and continuing their hard work on the defensive end.

The Seattle Pacific Falcons came in after opening their season with two impressive wins at home. Last time these two teams met was last year in a 2017 home opener that resulted in a 3-2 loss for the Wildcats.

Their was no love lost between the two squads in this match. ”It’s just a long, healthy history of great battles between the two of us.” Coach Sutton said. “It’s always a great game, always a tight one, and always fun.”

The Chico State defense completed another solid game with goalkeeper Brenna Meier finishing with three saves. Wildcat defenders were successful once again, barely allowing any room for the Falcon offense to operate. Chico only allowed ten shots to Seattle Pacific.

The opening half of the match was a very even battle between both teams. Time of possession did not favor one side or the other, and both teams had their fair share of good looks. Chico State made a commanding surge in the latter half of the first period and forced pressure on Seattle Pacific’s defenders in the middle of their line.

The start of the second half saw much of the same from the first, until a penalty was made by SPU’s Forward Kasey Reeves after the ball was out of play in the 52nd minute. Reeves was immediately handed a red card and disqualified for the remainder of the action.

IMG_2210.JPG

Chico State lines up for a free kick against Seattle Pacific during a scoreless tie on Thursday night. Photo credit: Wesley Harris

The red card caused Chico State forward, Jordan Doukakis and the rest of the team to play a more physical style “The first part was when the girl got the red card, so we all tried to support our player, get back at them, and always be physical.” Doukakis said.

The red card also sparked the Wildcat offense to shoot more, now that the Falcons were down one player. The Wildcats brought their first half total of 12 shots all the way up to 30 by the end of the game.

Extra time play consisted of Chico State’s offense controlling possession, keeping play around their goal. An opportunity for the Wildcats to score came with three minutes left in the final overtime period in an offensive run that reached past the Seattle goalie but the shot sailed over the net.

Chico had another opportunity when an open shot by forward, Erin Woods in the goalie box was met with a save by SPU’s Sophia Chilczuk. Although Chico State ended the game in another scoreless tie, Coach Sutton was still proud of her team’s performance

“Very happy with our progress.” Sutton said. “I thought we played organized, we did everything right, we just can’t seem to find the back of the net, but it will come eventually.”

Chico State women’s soccer will play their next game on the road against 0-2-1 Dominican University Sunday at noon.

Wesley Harris can be reached at [email protected] or @Flacko_Flame on Twitter.