Wildcat of the Week- Jason Intravaia

Jason Intravaia placed eighth in the Capital Cross Challenge on Sep. 29 Photo credit: Keelie Lewis

Senior cross-country runner and kinesiology major, Jason Intravaia has battled the injury bug his entire collegiate career. Intravaia made a triumphant return to cross-country at the Capital Cross Challenge Saturday, Sep. 29, placing second for the Chico men’s team in the 8k. Overall, he finished eighth out of 267 with a time of 24:27.3. He has never finished a season, but the potential to be All-CCAA is there. If Jason stays healthy then the streak of 16 California Collegiate Athletic Association titles and third straight national top 10 finish seasons seems like a sure thing to continue for the Wildcats men’s team.

What made you fall in love with cross-country?

I fell in love with cross-country because I can apply my max potential out there on the field. I can try as hard as I want and the result I got out of the meet was based on how I did. Like how hard I wanted to try.

What’s your favorite part about cross-country?

My favorite part about cross-country is running as a pack and as a team. I feel when you have your teammates grinding with you by your side, it’s going to make you try a lot harder.

How can the men’s team improve off of a first place finish?

We can improve off that first place finish because, even though it is a win, we still have more to go. We have NCAAs at the end of December, so we have to keep pushing on that momentum and not settling.

Optimized-jason1.JPG
Jason Intravaia looks to be a first time All-CCAA selection. Photo credit: Keelie Lewis

What are your goals for the rest of the season?

My goal, as an individual, is to break 24 minutes in the 8k. As a team, I want to place very well at regionals and nationals and, of course, in conference as well. I think we are on our 17th win in a row, if I’m not mistaken, at regionals, we can win that again it would be great. And at nationals place in the top four.

You’ve been injured every year for your collegiate career. Is it just great to be back out there?

Yes, I’ve been injured every single season up until this last track season actually. That’s kind of hindered my progression, but it feels great to get back out there and work alongside with my teammates. I’m just very thankful that I can prove my worth out there.

Optimized-jason2.JPG
Jason Intravaia is putting his injuries behind him to help Chico State cross-country nab another CCAA title. Photo credit: Keelie Lewis

What have the injuries taught you as a person?

The injuries have taught me a lot. Just to be on top of the little things such as stretching and rolling after a run. Making sure I’m running right and pronating or supinating. It’s all about being as efficient a runner as possible.

Any plans to run after college?

My plans to run after college for now, I’m going to stay in Chico after I finish eligibility. But I’d love to be an assistant cross-country coach after this track season.

Ricardo Tovar can be reached at [email protected] or @rtovarg13 on Twitter.