• Tasha Alexander gardening. Photo Courtesy of Tasha Alexander.

Tasha Alexander: inspiring educator, alumna

Wildcats attempt mini-triathlon

These Wildcats arent afraid of a little water. Participants in the Tough Cat event dive into the water to start the event by swimming laps. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson
These Wildcats aren’t afraid of a little water. Participants in the Tough Cat event dive into the water to start the event by swimming laps. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Wildcats at Chico State, on Friday, attempted a mini-triathlon at the Wildcat Recreation Center.

At ToughCat participants swim, bike and run the track, for 45 minutes each. It’s not a competition, so there’s not necessarily a winner. Students are just encouraged to come and try the event to see how far they can go. Jossie Hernandez, a program assistant at the WREC, helped coordinate the event.

1ac0425e-ae0d-40ab-b1e3-3d6a794152c6.jpg
After swimming, students mounted stationary bikes to pedal as hard as they can for 45 minutes. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

“Usually, we don’t get a huge turnout,” Hernandez said, “to be inclusive as possible, we encourage everyone to come out and test themselves.”

That is exactly what Damian Lopez went out to do.

“I just wanted to challenge myself and see what I was truly capable of,” Lopez said. “I impressed myself. I thought I was going to quit early on, but I was determined to finish.”

a21b069b-4e86-4f13-b703-db713828555e.jpg
Liliana Delgado, a member of the Chico State Triathlon team, is ready to bike as many miles as she can in the time limit. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

During ToughCat, the WREC had a table full of fruit, trail mix and Naked juice next to the pool for participants when they were done with each exercise. After the whole event each participant, no matter how they performed, received a goodie bag filled with an energy bar, jelly beans, a WREC towel and more.

ccfcccbc-071a-435a-8ac3-f2e9808157e1.jpg
All participants in the Tough Cat event received a goodie bag with snacks, lip balm and a sticker to commemorate their achievement. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

The WREC has an event every couple weeks. To keep up with them all, students can look at the school event calendar or go on the WREC app.

Justin Jackson can be reached at [email protected], or on Twitter @JustJack0176