New science building breaks ground

New science building breaks ground

President Gayle Hutchinson and faculty members of the College of Natural Sciences use their golden shovels to break ground for the new science building on Wednesday. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Olyvia Simpson

Dozens of members from Chico State and the community gathered for the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Science building on Wednesday.

glennlawnOPT.jpg

Dozens of people gathered on Glenn Law to witness the groundbreaking ceremony of the new natural sciences building. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

President Gayle Hutchinson spoke to those who came to witness the historic event. Some of the other speakers included Kyle McHenry of the Mechoopda Tribe and Dean David Hassenzhal of the College of Natural Sciences.

The science building has been on the list to be replaced since before 2014 but was made a higher priority when Hutchinson came to Chico State in 2016.

diggingOPT.jpg

Multiple companies were considered in an open bidding process to construct the building, but the best proposal came from DPR Construction and Smith Group JJR. They are a combined group responsible for working on everything from design to construction.

“It’s been a very collaborative process,” Hassenzhal said, “we had all the departments involved, all the staff and students involved, it wasn’t just them designing a building for us.”

presidentHutch.jpg

President Gayle Hutchinson hugs psychology major, Marqia Smith, who was walking by the ceremony when President Hutchinson invited Smith to grab the last shovel and hard hat and break ground for the new building alongside them. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Students were involved through open meetings by voicing what they wanted to have involved in the buildings.

“I had some extensive conversations with the physics club’s students and they gave some really good input on how to develop it,” Hassenzhal said.

deanOPT.jpg

Dean David Hassenzhal talks about the engaging learning processes he hopes the design of the new science building will encourage. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

The classrooms within the new facility will be designed to drive the teaching to better engage students in the learning process. “We’re designing a building with the best possible teaching practices and retooling our teaching in anticipation,” Hassenzhal said.

The new science facility is expected to be completed in Fall 2020.

Olyvia Simpson can be reached at [email protected] or @OSimpson15 on Twitter