An historic night for the first place Wildcats

Chico State forward, Susanna Garcia attempts to strike the ball against Sonoma State on Friday. Photo credit: Roy Anderson

This was one for the history books as the Chico State women’s soccer team beat their rival Sonoma State with a 1-0 goal by Susanna Garcia assisted by Devon Morones.

The game was like no other as it was a fight for most of the game with a score of 0-0. Overtime looked inevitable, but at the 88th minute Wildcat forward, Susanna Garcia, scored a beautiful goal that would inevitably give Chico state first place in the division.

Every player was happy that they made history but there were two players, Brenna Meler and Devon Morones, that stood out. Morones believes this game will define the rest of the season for the Wildcats.

“It was accepted Sonoma State is a great team and it was the first time we beat them at home,” Morones said. “Now with Sonoma State at second, this game will be for the best or for the worst for us, but it was a historic night. We are still undefeated and this game was going to make or break this season.”

Optimized-DSC_0912.JPG
Chico State defender, Jamie Ikeda attempts to stop Sonoma State from getting the ball on Friday. Photo credit: Roy Anderson

Chico State hadn’t beaten Sonoma State since 2011. Seven years of losing to the Seawolves led to this historic day for the Wildcats. Leading the way for the Wildcats was their goalkeeper, Brenna Meier, who registered three saves for the day.

“This game was a historic game, I had to calm the team down and make sure that the team was ready,” Meier said. “We feel good as a team, this is our year and we have to keep pushing for the next game.”

With this game in the books the Chico State women’s soccer team is now in first place in the California Collegiate Athletic Association standings and will play Humboldt State at home on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 2 p.m.

Roy Anderson can be reached at [email protected] or @RoyAnde49379581 on Twitter.