Man and woman getting intimate. Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Brooke Martin

When thinking of the word ‘porn,’ you may picture videos depicting extremely graphic sex or old Playboy magazines. While this porn exists, there are other types too.

Growing up, parents and society make sure not to take away our innocence, this is especially true for movies and tv shows. Most parents will check the maturity rating of a movie before letting their kids watch it. At movie theaters, employees won’t sell tickets to R-rated movies if someone is under 17. However, we’re adults now and we can watch whatever we want, including porn. It may be time to explore the realm of porn and what it has to offer.

There might be many reasons why you don’t want to watch porn. You may find it disgusting, demeaning to women or inappropriate. These are all valid opinions. However, maybe you haven’t found the right porn for you.

There are porn categories that I had no idea were even a thing. As I did further research into the topic, I came to discover that there were options such as: Japanese newscaster porn, toothless granny porn, Santa Claus porn, Occult porn and even clown porn.

Porn comes in many shapes and forms. It can be in videos, gifs, erotica, audio and even cartoons. There is no shortage of categories either. Pretty much anything and everything is out there.

By viewing porn, you’re exploring your sexuality and may find a preference or desire that you had no idea you liked or even knew existed.

When it comes to who watches porn, there is definitely a gender gap. Men are 543 percent more likely to watch porn than women, according to ConventEyes. One reason for this may be that women view porn as prioritizing male pleasure over female.

For all of my feminists out there, there is a porn category called feminist porn. Feminist porn is more focused on how the actresses are treated before and after the film rather than during it. This film category promotes equal pay between the genders, consent and a healthy workplace.

There is also erotica. Erotica is different from porn because erotica pays more attention to emotions and intimacy. Erotica is about connection and what the two (or more) people are experiencing.

There’s no way for me to possibly even make a dent in all of the different types of porn. The two listed above are just two areas that some females might not know about. Porn doesn’t always have to be lesbian scissoring or male domination, unless, of course, you’re into that.

The only way for you to find the porn that interests you is by exploring. It might take you several browser pages and hours but, eventually, you may find something that interests you.

Brooke Martin can be reached at [email protected] or @bmartin471 on Twitter.

One Response to “Porn is more than just Playboy magazines”

1. Gabe Marquez on November 14th, 2018 9:19 pm

This seems like an article that is promoting pornography. Have you ever done research on the deleterious effects that porn has on your brain. I know this is college, and probably many people love watching porn. However, you guys should focus more on raising awareness about how certain addictions (yeah porn is one) could damage your health and life quality in the long term.

• Porn is more than just Playboy magazines

Gender reveals: harmful or celebratory?

Keep Chico state a ‘dry’ campus

Catcalling: it’s inexcusable

The Democratic Party has not helped black people

Condoms: the ins and outs

Voting is crucial for this upcoming election

The ‘pink tax’ is making me pink in the face

Off the Record: catcalling and porn

Wildcat on the Street: Does greasy food cure hangovers?

Beware: cultures aren’t a costume