Keep Chico state a ‘dry’ campus

Chico isn’t dry, but Chico State is.

Chico is California’s ‘drunkest city’ and is home to the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company. Our town is definitely not short on alcohol. Most students accept the fact that we are known for drinking and some even take pride in it. However, the beer and vodka trail ends when students step onto campus.

Alcohol is strictly prohibited on Chico State’s campus. Some students may wish this was different, but do we really need it on campus?

Even if alcohol was sold on campus, I doubt many of us would head to the campus bar or dining locations for booze anyway. Food and beverages sold on campus are often more expensive compared to prices at Safeway or a local gas station. This is why I try to bring lunch and snacks from home instead of buying food from campus. If I was 21 and there was a campus bar, I doubt I would ever choose to go there when I could go to a local bar.

One popular Chico Bar is Madison Bear Garden, commonly referred to as ‘The Bear,’ which borders campus. It’s only about a block away, which is nothing. If we are able to get out of bed, get dressed and go to class, then we should be able to walk a minute or two for beer.

Putting convenience and accessibility aside, Chico State no longer being a ‘dry campus’ would be a health and safety issue.

Alcohol has a different effect on everyone. While some get happier, others get angrier. Allowing alcohol on campus may increase the crime and assaults that take place at Chico State. We have already had our fair share of violence. There’s no need to add any more.

Another problem that could arise, is students going to class drunk. I have heard many stories about students going to school intoxicated. Can you imagine how many more people would go to class wasted if liquor was sold on campus?

We are in college to have a good time, but to also get an education. If booze was sold on campus, the temptation to take the edge off of class with a couple of shots may be too great. Students should not regularly be pregaming a class, no matter how boring the lecture may be.

Chico State should remain a dry campus. Let’s keep the liquor to parties and bars.

Brooke Martin can be reached at [email protected] or @bmartin471 on Twitter.