Letter to: discouraged students

Letter to: discouraged students

College doesn't have to be discouraging for all. Stock image courtesy of freekpik.

Janette Estrada

Dear discouraged student,

Fine, I admit it. As a college student, I frequently ask, “Why am I in school?” Although this question may be the result of stress from writing a last-minute essay due at midnight, it is nearly impossible to believe I am the only one. If you have reached this point in your college career and begin to doubt your position, this is a message to you.

Find your passion. Duh, we are all in school to get an education and become valuable workers of society. However, college is also a key benefactor for your future. It allows you the opportunity to discover your purpose while revealing your qualities as an individual. In other words, finding your passion will substitute “I have to do it” for “I want to do it.”

Now you may be thinking, “but I am broke.” Unfortunately, this world runs on money. In fact, this may be your biggest stressor as a broke college student struggling with living expenses. Let this motivate you. College students are not intended to be financially stable, but instead, understand the significance of why our education is worth paying for. It is securing your future and dream job, but most importantly it is securing the bag.

In the meantime, here is a free tip: use your resources. I can assure the majority of us at Chico State are uneducated on the list of resources provided to help students succeed. Note that tuition pays for professional staffing and spaces available for our use. For example, health and wellness. Chico State provides free healthcare, food pantry and personal counseling.

College is also a privilege. Value the position that you have, some others wish they had it too. It is believed America is the land of opportunity. Welp, for the most of us. If you are not politically informed by now (sadly), undocumented individuals are not granted the same opportunity to enroll into college. You are special. You hold the privilege of deciding what to do with your life while others are forced to live with restrictions and limited choices.

My advice: enjoy your stay. Allow yourself the time to socialize and build new friendships. Do not lose track of who you are based on temporary feelings of discouragement. Learn to prioritize while keeping up with yourself. College is only a dosage of what you will find in the outside world.

Please, accept the challenge for all the right reasons.

Sincerely,

Janette Estrada

Janette Estrada can be reached at [email protected] or @Jane_11e on Twitter.