Wildcats wrestle Gators into submission

Pitcher Amanda Flores had seven hits, six RBIs and her first home run as a Wildcat in the four-game series against Humboldt on April 22, 2018. Photo credit: Jana Weiss

Noah Andrews

Chico State softball hosted the San Francisco State Gators Friday in a doubleheader.

The games represented the first league play for the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) this season, and both teams were looking to start off on a good note.

The first game of the doubleheader kicked off at noon and saw the Gators take the first lead off an RBI single at the top of the fourth inning. Not to be outdone, the Wildcats tied the game in the same inning, after a wild throw caused by an Amanda Flores single allowed Annie Weiss to take home.

The fourth inning would be the last in which the Gators lead. After a scoreless fifth and sixth inning from the Gators, a base hit and subsequently stolen base by Kristen Worley would place her in scoring position. She would later get batted in by another single from Amanda Flores. A follow up double by Bailey Atkins would drive in Flores and make the Wildcats lead insurmountable at 3-1.

The second game of the two-game fixture would again find the Gators with an early lead. After two consecutive doubles and a run driven in the first inning, the Gators held early momentum.

However, much like the first game, the Wildcats would bounce back. An RBI batted in after a double by Ari Marsh in the bottom of the 1st, would even the score at 1-1. Two scoreless innings would follow before Chico State exploded in the third with three home runs and a total of four runs batted in.

Despite the onslaught, the Gators would rally with two runs of their own in the top of the fourth inning.

Now trailing 3-5, the Gators had momentum building after holding the Wildcats to two consecutive scoreless innings. Things appeared to be shifting in their favor after another batted RBI made the score 4-5.

However, Chico turned up the heat and proceeded to go on a five-run rampage at the bottom of the sixth inning. A team effort saw the five runs pour in, with individual runs instead of being replaced by multiple base hits, and RBI’s. The end of the inning saw the Wildcats double their lead, and effectively end the Gators comeback hopes. The game ended with a score of 10-4 in the Wildcats favor.

With those two wins, the Wildcats now find themselves at a record of 4-1 overall, and 2-0 in conference play. However, the Gators will have a chance to redeem themselves tomorrow, as they face the Wildcats in yet another doubleheader at Chico State.

Noah Andrews can be reached at [email protected] or @SPORTSFROMNOAH on Twitter.