Feather River hospital to close, over 1,200 employees to be laid off

The entrance to the Feather River Hospital Emergency Room just after the Camp Fire burned through Paradise. Adventist Health now says the entire campus area on Pentz Road will not be re-opened anytime soon. Photo credit: Josh Cozine

Kendall George

Feather River Hospital medical center campus in Butte County will not be reopening after Camp Fire damage, according to a press release on the Adventist Health website released Wednesday morning.

Feather River Hospital was previously a 101-bed, acute-care hospital, and the leading employer in Paradise. Over 1,000 part-time and full-time employees will be laid off following the immediate closure.

“We have studied the clean-up and recovery time and costs from other wildfire tragedies in recent years and compared them to the severity of the damage done in Paradise. We now believe that it will be at least 2020 before services could be reopened on the Pentz Road campus. Even then, the type of services required for the community that ultimately redevelops in this geography are likely to be different from what we have historically provided,” the press release stated.

The lower level of the hospital suffered severe damage during the Camp Fire on Nov. 8, and many of the buildings were destroyed.

The medical clinic, located on Skyway in Paradise, reopened in December and is still available to patients. Similarly, clinics in Chico and Corning are also open. However, the hospital is to remain closed until further notice.

After the fire, employees were transferred to nearby clinics in Chico and Marysville, with some being offered full pay and benefits through Feb. 5. The total of these stipends reaches about $30 million.

In the long term, employees have been offered a job with Adventist Medical if they are willing to relocate, otherwise, local employers will be working with former employees who cannot relocate.

The phone lines for general and marketing and communications about Feather River hospital are down as of Tuesday.

Kendall George can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @kendallmgeorge.