Wildcats face fourth straight defeat, fall against the Otters

Dustin Miller batting at the top of the second inning against Cal State Monterey Bay on Friday, Mar. 1, 2019. Photo credit: Lucero Del Rayo-Nava

Lucero Del Rayo-Nava

The Wildcats looked forward to redeeming themselves after a doubleheader loss against the Gators in the previous week. They were soon disappointed as California State University, Monterey Bay took both games by seven runs on Friday.

“We are just not pitching very well, so nothing is going to change until we can figure out some of the pitching problems,” Head Coach Dave Taylor said.

Game 1:

The first game started off slow with the first three innings remaining scoreless. It wasn’t until the top of the fourth that Monterey Bay scored in the first run of the day.

This translated into a domino effect for the Otters as they slowly trickled in another run at the top of the fifth as Chico continued to struggle to get on the scoreboard.

It wasn’t until the bottom of the eighth inning that Wildcat Brandon Hernandez put the team on the scoreboard with a run.

With the Wildcats trailing behind, Monterey Bay took no chances and in the top of the ninth managed to score another three runs. The Wildcats were ready to make some runs at the bottom of the inning, but the Otters’ precise pitching ended the game 1-8.

Game two:

Chico State came back in the second game by taking the lead in the bottom of the third as Jorge Perez scored the first run of the game. Then JT Navarro came in shortly after from third base.

Right before the inning finished Eddie Zavala scored another run giving Chico State their biggest lead of the night 4-0.

The Otters did not allow the Wildcats to get too comfortable as they came in strong offensively and loaded the bases at the top of the fourth inning. This allowed Monterey Bay to score two runs but Chico State kept their lead when Myles Moran scored a run at the bottom of the inning.

In the fifth inning, Monterey Bay was not ready to see the game slip from their hands and scored another three runs tying the game. The Wildcats kept their lead alive as Dustin Miller scored a run at the bottom of the inning.

With only two innings left the Wildcats looked the strongest they did all night but it was short-lived. Monterey Bay took advantage of the sixth inning and seventh inning to score eight runs and managed to keep Chico from scoring.

“We did four and turned right back around and gave them 13,” Taylor said. “We are not overcoming it, we are repeating the same mistakes.”

The Wildcats face Monterey Bay again on Monday in a doubleheader taking place in Nettleton Stadium at noon and 3 p.m.

Lucero Del Rayo can be reached at [email protected] or @del_rayo98 on Twitter.