Speaker gives students scoop on winning ‘money game’

IMG_0196.JPG
Adam Carroll gives a speech on financial decision making to students at the Bell Memorial Union on Wednesday.Photo credit: Yoselin Calderon

“Lord have mercy!”

This is what Adam Carroll, motivational speaker and author of “Winning the Money Game,” told students to yell on Wednesday in the Bell Memorial Union.

Carroll told the laughing audience to repeat this phrase as a tool when shopping to beat the desire to spend money. His speech made real-life situations humorous while discussing financial mishaps.

Carroll presented the audience with tips on how to have a successful financial future and stressed how important it is to save money, especially if that money doesn’t exist.

“I want you to understand one thing,” Carroll said. “If you can’t eat it, drink it or wear it, it doesn’t go on plastic.”

He uses the term plastic in reference to credit cards, a common student possession.

The event was put on by Delta Sigma Pi, a business fraternity on campus. Carroll is a brother of the fraternity from another chapter.

“There are seven out of 10 college students who will leave here with debt,” said Natalie Roufchaie, a senior business marketing major and senior vice president of Delta Sigma Pi. “So I think everyone can benefit from this and learn how to win the money game.”

Thousands of college students find themselves thousands of dollars in debt after they graduate. Scholarships are a way to pay for an education without having to suffer down the line financially .

Carroll’s website, ScholarshipMastery, is designed to help students find and receive free money to pay for school.

“I think he’ll make me think more about my future so I can think about the steps beforehand,” said Amelia Lowry, a sophomore business major. “It’ll help me plan ahead so I don’t end up in debt.”

Students were asked to participate in a few activities that included a thumb-over-thumb game which either determined how high an IQ was or how attracted to the opposite sex a person was.

“This is totally non-scientific,” Carroll said.

The speaker shared a variety of stories about people who thought outside of the box and were able to make and save money quicker that way.

One person purchased a gumball machine and placed it in a hot spot like a restaurant. Over a short period of time, the gumball machine accumulated quite a bit of money.

“I thought it was awesome and absolutely fantastic,” said Oliver Montalbano, a sophomore business major. “I felt it rekindled this passion for finding crazy awesome ways to make money easily.”

Carroll discussed the idea of judging others’ worth based on the amount of money they get paid an hour, or annually.

“It made me really paranoid about my net worth, in a good way,” said Nick Varga, a first-year international relations student. “I’m happy about that though, because I’m 18 and I now have a jump start.”

Carroll is traveling the nation, presenting at multiple universities to give students the information needed to become financially successful.

“I have a huge heart for 20-somethings because I think they’ve been dealt an unfair hand,” Carroll said. “We have tuitions that are skyrocketing and student loan interest rates that are going up at the same time, with a job market that’s going down. So it’s like this is the perfect storm.”

Dominique Diaz can be reached at [email protected] or @dominiqueldiaz on Twitter.