Choose Chico brings in future Wildcats

The overcast skies and light showers weren’t enough to keep future Wildcats from getting their iconic first picture by the Chico State sign in front of Kendall Hall.

sign
Miranda Zuniga and Jennifer Navarro from Greenfield, CA snap a picture in front of the iconic Chico State sign. They are very excited to attend school next fall. Photo credit: Trenton Taylor

Even Chico State President Gayle Hutchinson was impressed with the turnout.

“We have 1900 prospective students on campus today, which is up from the last time that we held Choose Chico,” she said. “Even in the overcast, with a threat of rain, people still turned out because Chico State is that good.”

Choose Chico day is a special day for prospective Chico State students to see if the university is a good option for them. Students get to explore the campus and meet faculty from each of the departments.

The day began with Hutchinson giving her President’s welcome speech to all the students and their guests in Laxon Auditorium.

Hutchinson outlined factors that make Chico what it is. She highlighted things like the natural beauty of the campus, the student involvement in exchange programs, campus sustainability efforts and the faculty involvement in student success.

One notable highlight she mentioned is a 100% success rate for students finding jobs in select fields such as Accounting, Civil Engineering, and School Psychology.

“I may be biased, but we are the best,” she said.

Milton Lang, vice president of Student Affairs, joined Hutchinson on stage to share his personal testimony of how Chico State transformed his life. Lang said that he was a first-generation college student from a large, low-income family and has now become very successful in his career and as a person.

“All of that happened, because of my undergraduate experience at California State University, Chico,” he said.

Campus and University housing tours were available all day for students to get familiar with the campus, and possibly their new living space.

Jose Martinez, a student visiting from Oxnard, California, said that he loves how the campus looks.

“I like Chico because it’s far away from home, but it also is super cool to walk around campus and see the beauty,” he said.

Martinez is going to start studying criminal justice next fall. He submitted his intent to enroll at “The Intent Tent” outside the BMU.

At this tent, Makayla Teeter and Maggie Suoza from the Office of Administrations guided prospective students through the online student portal to accept their enrollment for the upcoming fall semester.

The day finished with multiple presentations and workshops in locations all over campus. The workshops covered topics like the honors program, financial aid, being a successful transfer student and campus jobs.

The university housing presentation seemed to be of big importance to visiting students. The new students pouring into the community are going to need somewhere to live during their first year, so knowing what options are available is significant for them.

housing bmu
Residence Life Coordinator Emily Lees gives a presentation on university housing options for freshman and transfer students. Photo credit: Trenton Taylor

Residence Life coordinator Emily Lees explained to students how important the application process is for living in one of the many residence halls.

“The application asks specific questions about your personality and your hobbies,” she said. “We use that information to pair students with their roommates and their residence hall so that way they get the best experience.”

Choose Chico day happens every spring semester in April, and is highly recommended for future Wildcats to attend to get the great Chico experience.

“The Chico experience is real,” Gayle Hutchinson said. “When you come here, your faculty know you, the staff know you and you have the opportunity to connect with other students and solve real-world problems.”

Trenton Taylor can be reached at @T_Taylor34 on Twitter and [email protected]