Bittersweet day for Chico State Softball, split Friday doubleheader with Stanislaus State

Naomi Monahan picked up her third win of the season. She currently has a 2.91 ERA in 33 2/3 innings for the Wildcats. Photo credit: Brandon Downs

Brandon Downs

Chico State’s softball team wins game two of Friday’s doubleheader against the Stanislaus State Warriors, having lost the first game 3-5 and winning the second game 3-1.

Game one:

Coming off of three straight losses to Cal State Monterey Bay the Wildcats were in need of big plays to get back to their winning ways.

Brooke Larsen got the start for the Wildcats. In 4 ⅓ innings, Larsen allowed two earned runs, five runs total but allowed five walks. Larsen struck out five batters.

The Wildcats came in strong on Friday as they scored three runs in the first inning. A double by Wendy Cardinali and two singles allowed the Wildcats to jump out on top early in the game.

20190412_170511.jpg

Amanda Metzger makes the catch in center field. The Wildcats defense helped hold the Warriors to 10 hits in Friday’s doubleheader. Photo credit: Brandon Downs

That would be the end of runs from the ‘Cats’ as they did not score the remainder of the game.

Stanislaus State scored four runs in the second inning in response to the Wildcats three runs in the first inning.

Kristin Worley was 4-4 and scored the first run of the game. All of Worley’s hits were singles, including a bunt single and she beat out a ground ball to shortstop. Worley also stole a base.

Errors in game one were a problem for the Wildcats. They committed three errors and allowed three unearned runs to score.

Game two:

The Wildcats and the Warriors battled a close game before the Wildcats were able to score two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Starting pitcher Naomi Monahan allowed one run in the first inning but was able to shut down the Warriors hitters for the rest of the game.

“Just to stay calm and trust my defense, they’ve been really great all season, and I know they had my back and each other’s backs,” Monahan said after the game when asked about battling out of situations with runners in scoring position.

Monahan allowed four hits, one run and struck out four batters in her complete game.

On offense, Worley used her speed to get on base, as she would steal a base and sneak home on a dropped strike three throw to first base. This put the Wildcats on the board and tied the game at one in the third inning.

Worley was 1-4 but was able to get on base three times. She beat out a dropped third strike in the first inning and used her speed to force an error from the Warriors.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, Angel Lopez pinch hit and hit a line-drive home run to left center field.

“When I went up to bat she pitched me an inside fastball, I believe, and that was what I was looking for because the whole entire game she was pitching my teammates inside and I just knew to lay off the rise ball and the changeup,” Lopez said.

20190412_173017.jpg

The team awaits for Angel Lopez to reach home plate after she hit her go-ahead two-run home run to help the Wildcats win game two. Photo credit: Brandon Downs

Chico State collected a total of 16 hits and six runs in the doubleheader Friday.

The series concludes Saturday with a doubleheader. The Wildcats will be recognizing their seniors starting at 11:30 a.m.

Brandon Downs can be reached at [email protected] or @downsbrandon2 on Twitter.