’Cats roll through Spartans

IMG_20140201_133723_298[1].jpg
Chico State and San Jose State battle for the ball during Saturday's game.

The Wildcats completely ran through the San Jose State Spartans this Saturday en route to a 34-0 smack down.

The Wildcats won possession first and within the first few minutes already had their first try by Ian McLens. The next possessions were tough but Chico State was able to keep the ball out of the Spartans’ hands.

San Jose State played defense the entire time and were absolutely bullied by the Wildcats and their physical play. At halftime the score was 22-0.

Chico State’s Charlie Brennan looked dominant out on the pitch as he made it a mission to run over any Spartan in his path. Brennan scored two tries, which was the most on the team.

On one play, the Spartans looked close to scoring but the aggressive tackling of the Wildcats was able to stifle San Jose. At one point, the ‘Cats were able to stop the Spartans at midfield and block a kick which fell right into the hands of a Chico State player who took it back the whole way for a try.

“We have been working our butt off this year so it was easy for us to come out today and handle business.” Wildcats rugby player Matt Zarchin said. “We’ve all been working together for a long time so this was nothing out of the ordinary.”

Next week, the Wildcats play at home against the Stanford Cardinals and look to keep the momentum going.

Lee Masten can be reached at [email protected] or @lee23masten on Twitter.