North Valley Chamber Chorale presents Mozart’s ‘Requiem’

NVCC is curated of professional musicians and singers that are mostly music teachers or professional performers with bachelor degrees in the musical arts. Photo credit: Rayanne Painter

Rayanne Painter

Mozart’s 14-part “Requiem” was performed by North Valley Chamber Chorale (NVCC) in Laxson Auditorium on Sunday.

A full chorus, orchestra and four soloists took to the stage to recreate the piece Mozart never got to finish. In 1791, Mozart partially composed the commissioned requiem but died before all of the sequences were finished. Written fully in Latin from one of the most genius composers in history, the manuscripts were passed between several different composers before it was successfully finished.

The “Requiem” recreation included an orchestra consisting of an organ, basset horns, bassoons, trombones, trumpets and timpani. This combination of instruments minus the presence of wind instruments created a dark and gloomy sound, which Mozart surely intended. The soloists’ voices did range from soprano to bass, but the group acted as a quartet rather than anyone voice standing out.

NVCC is curated of professional musicians and singers that are mostly music teachers or professional performers with bachelor degrees in the musical arts, although other members vary in musical experience, education and professions. The four soloists of the chorale were all highly qualified in musical education and theatre arts.

After the hour-long requiem, the chorale members and soloists earned a standing ovation from the audience members.

NVCC is currently accepting auditions for their upcoming concert season in August. Potential chorale members will audition based on vocalization, tonal memory exercises and sightreading abilities. More information about auditions and future performance dates can be found on their website.

Rayanne Painter can be reached at [email protected] or @rayphenomenon on Twitter.