Women’s soccer on a roll with a three-game winning streak

Alexi Vontsolos in defensive battle with Holy Names player. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

Women’s soccer took home their third victory with a 4-0 win against Holy Names University on Saturday.

Chico State offense brought the intensity, allowing them to score four goals against Holy Names. Wildcat scorers of the night were Abbie Jones, Marissa Martin, Cody Johnson, and Chloe King.

Goal
Marissa Martin scores a goal for Chico State. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

However, 35 minutes into the first half and the score at 1-0, the Wildcats hit a bump in the road. Goalkeeper, Victoria Graham, pulled a muscle in her right leg and sat out for the remainder of the game. Freshman, Maddie Gonzalez, subbed in for Graham and remained a wall in front of the goal, not letting anything past her.

“She (Head Coach Kim Sutton) expects to see the same that Vic would do (as goalkeeper), to come out here and play confident, be able to carry the team on my shoulders, be able to keep a winning streak going for us and just play the way I know how to play,” Gonzalez said.

Chico State's Goal Keeper
Maddie Gonzalez kicks the ball away after blocking the shot. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

Gonzalez made her regular season debut as a freshman on Saturday night after stepping in for Graham. With two saves that night, she took charge and kept the zero on the scoreboard under Holy Names.

“It’s a lot different. It’s a lot faster, but it’s also just as much fun. I’m looking to be faster and getting to the ground quicker and just brushing up on little skills with my hands,” Gonzalez said.

The first goal of the game was scored by senior Jones, contributing to her second goal of the season. Her shot hit the crossbar and dropped straight down over the line. Emerging as a leader this season, Jones looks after her teammates and takes note of what is working for her team.

“We have a lot of depth in the attack. We have a solid starting 11, but we have a lot of players that come in and out, and it’s always switching,” Jones said. “So, I feel like our opponents never know what’s coming.

Players Watching
Players stood back as Alexz Wheaton and Marin Wright battle for the ball. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

With new and promising talent on the team, Chico State looks to use players, like Gonzalez, to their advantage. The recruiting class has come in strong and has adapted quickly.

“We have a really solid defense. We have a lot of rookies and freshman that came in and really are just 100 percent,” Jones said. “They really know what they’re doing, which I don’t think a lot of teams have. Everyone is just so strong and solid.”

The season is looking bright for the Wildcats and are already on a roll. They look to continue their three-game winning streak at home against Azusa Pacific University on Thursday, Sept. 19.

Karina Cope can be reached at [email protected] or @KarinaICope on Twitter.