Taste of Chico celebrates food

Upper Crust happily handed out cupcakes. Photo credit: Jessie Imhoff
dancers.JPG
Dancers graced the stage at the Plaza. Photo credit: Jessie Imhoff

There was much to see when walking down the streets of downtown Chico on Sunday. The Downtown Chico Business Association held their annual Taste of Chico, hosting a variety of vendors, including local restaurants, radio stations and live music.

The Taste of Chico has been an annual event since 1985. Celebrating its 34th installment, many Chico locals knew to make it to the event.

Some Chico locals, like Sara Haskell, have lived in Chico their whole lives without attending the event. This Sunday was her first time at Taste of Chico.

Haskell described it as a fun scene. “People say the way to happiness is through your belly, so everyone here seems to be pretty happy,” Haskell said.

shuberts.JPG
Shubert's employees are handing out ice cream to happy attendees. Photo credit: Jessie Imhoff

Many downtown favorites lined the streets to treat attendees with their food. While Shubert’s was handing out their famous ice cream, Upper Crust Bakery was there with cupcakes ready.

Jocelyn Valadez, an Upper Crust employee, working at the booth, was enjoying her time there. It was her first time working for Taste of Chico, and it was going well.

Valadez enjoyed Taste of Chico because it brings Chico together as a community.

While there were plenty of local vendors, chain restaurants also set up their booths. Places like Red Lobster, Mod Pizza and Jamba Juice could be seen at the event.

Many decided to volunteer their time at the event. Volunteers were placed in multiple booths around downtown at different water stations to keep attendees hydrated.

uppercrust.JPG

Chico State’s Men’s Rugby team were also at the event as volunteers. The team went around collecting trash to keep the event clean.

Jack Hempel from the rugby team said volunteering is a good way to give back and get in touch with the community.

If you missed Taste of Chico this year, you’ll have to wait until it comes back around next year to get your taste of the event.

Jessie Imhoff can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @JessieReports.