Chico Stonewall Alliance: Another Resource for the the LGBTQ+ Community

Founded in 1990 and located on East 6th Street, Stonewall Alliance Chico is a nonprofit organization that provides an array of services and support for the LGBTQ+ community.

Open Monday to Friday from noon to 6 p.m. the goal of the center is to cultivate a safe, open and inclusive environment for members of the LGBTQ+ and ally communities.

“The services that we offer are we do counseling and we do that with interns from Chico State with a clinical supervisor who oversees those interns,” said Executive Director Celeste Cramer.

There are also an array of support groups.

“We have about 12 support groups right now and really we could expand, but we have limited space,” Cramer said.

These support groups are for both individuals of the community as well as families and allies. Those groups are peer run meaning they are done with volunteers.

In addition to counseling and support groups, the center also offers free HIV and Hep C testing.

“The reason we do that here is because some people feel more comfortable coming here than they would to go somewhere like public health or a health center,” Cramer said.

This is done every Monday from 4 to 6 p.m. and on the first Sunday of the month there are morning sessions.

“We try to be as discreet as possible about why people are coming in,” Cramer said.

The Stonewall Alliance also offers sensitivity trainings for eight other counties in addition to Butte. However, Cramer said that whoever wants them can come and train and they will be there.

The Chico Stonewall is the largest LGBTQ+ center north of Sacramento and serves the entire community including students of all ages.

The center is set up to feel like a home away from home. Especially for those who don’t feel comfortable in their homes

“This is kind of our hang out for teens to come after school, especially the ones who don’t feel safe at home being themselves,” Cramer said.

Stonewall receives most of their funding from government grants, but there are also private and local donors.

The center also hosts events throughout the year, including Pride in June and Trans week in March. They are also coming up on celebrating their 30th anniversary next October.

The Stonewall Alliance is always looking for more volunteers and are accepting any help or aid from the community. They also have an Amazon wish list on their website to add to the center.