Women’s soccer comeback after losing their home game streak

Chico State taking advantage of their possession of the ball. Photo credit: Hana Beaty

The Wildcats embark on a new home game winning streak after their first home game loss in a while against Cal Poly Pomona. Friday’s defeat marked the breaking of the women’s soccer 26 home game win streak. However, the Wildcats were not discouraged and came out victorious against Cal State San Bernardino on Sunday with a final score of 2-0.

Both goals were scored by forwards Chloe King and Jordan Doukakis. King put the first goal on the board just two minutes into the first half. The score stayed stagnant until King assisted Doukakis in her first goal of the season with 17 minutes left in the game. As a freshmen forward King has contributed greatly to the team’s offensive play.

Nicole Marquez
Nicole Marquez (left) prepares to intervene Kaylah Wanna (right) from the opposing team. Photo credit: Hana Beaty

Both King and Doukakis pose tremendous speed, ball control, and scoring ability.

Doukakis believes that speed is her greatest asset to the team. As a junior, she has built up her stamina over her time at Chico State and continues to increase her speed each year.

Natalie Barrett
Chico Natalie Barrett will not let anyone take the ball from her. Photo credit: Hana Beaty

Freshman midfielder, Camille Lidster, has rightfully claimed her starting spot on the team this year and serves as another key offensive player for the Wildcats. Coming from a high school team Lidster has proven herself to coaches and teammates, and believes that she can continue to heighten her ability.

“I just work hard every day and am confident in myself. Confidence is key,” Lidster said.

As a midfielder she is responsible for keeping the offensive and defensive lines moving smoothly. She sees a lot of action and is constantly in motion as she transitions between both offense and defense.

“Dribbling, getting around players, and finding an open pass on offense is where I shine more,” Lidster said.

With star players like King, Doukakis, and Lidster, the Wildcats pose a solid offensive threat to opposing competition.

goalkeeper defending
Goalkeeper Maddie Gonzalez defending the goal from opposing team member Yvette Ochoa. Photo credit: Hana Beaty

The end of one streak calls for the beginning of a new one, and the Wildcats are already looking in that direction.

“It was hard losing that streak, but I think this game we all came together and worked harder to build the team,” Lidster said.

The next three games are on the road for Chico State and will return home Sunday, Nov. 3. With the season the Wildcats have had so far, restarting its home game winning streak does not seem out of reach.

Karina Cope can be reached at [email protected] or @KarinaICope on Twitter.