Scheduled burn at Loafer Creek

Loafer Creek Campground during the daytime. Image provided by Californias Best Campgrounds Photo credit: Angelina Mendez
Loafer Creek Campground during the daytime. Image provided by California’s Best Campgrounds Photo credit: Angelina Mendez

Firefighters from Butte County conducted a control burn at Loafer Creek Tuesday near Lake Oroville.

The purpose of the burn is to improve natural habitat and rangeland, and to reduce hazards, according to a news release. During this conducted burn, multiple areas of grass and oak woodland were burned, totaling approximately 105 acres.

“One of the most popular areas on Lake Oroville, it’s important to responsibly manage the vegetation at Loafer Creek for the benefit of visitors and wildlife alike.” Battalion Chief Gus Boston said in the release.

The controlled burn is a joint effort between CAL FIRE/Butte County Fire Department, the California Department of Water Resources, and the California Department of Parks and Recreation (California State Parks), which are all under the California Natural Resources Agency.

Butte County said that they will be closely monitoring the weather and will only conduct the burn if weather conditions permit.

Smoke from the burn was visible in the Kelly Ridge and Greater Oroville areas during the daytime on Tuesday. Areas such as the trails that are day use area and portions of the campgrounds at Loafer Creek were closed during the burn period.

The release also explained how the residential burn suspension in the unincorporated areas of Butte County is still in effect.

“This control burn is being conducted in accordance with section 4423.2 of the Public Resources where CAL FIRE may issue restricted temporary burning permits whenever it can be shown that burning or use of open fire is essential for reasons of public health, safety, or welfare,” according to Butte County’s release.

CAL Fire will monitor the burn to reduce hazard vegetation and will be present while the burn is taking place.

Angelina Mendez can be reached at orionmanaging [email protected].