Police corner man suspected of stealing partner’s vehicle

The location on the 3100 block of The Esplanade where a man was pursued and cornered by police.

Police pursued a man Sunday who was reported for stealing his girlfriend’s car and driving under the influence.

On Sunday afternoon, Chico Police Department (CPD) officers responded to a reported domestic dispute on the 3100 block of Esplanade, according to a news release.

Police received a call from a female reporting that her boyfriend had damaged and stolen her car without permission. She also reported that he might have a warrant for his arrest. An officer spotted the vehicle driving southbound on Highway 99 while arriving to the location the victim provided.

Police continually pursued the vehicle on Highway 99 because the male refused to stop.

The California Highway Patrol was contacted to take over the pursuit once the vehicle traveled further from Chico. The pursuit was handed over to CHP who maintained the pursuit until the vehicle finally stopped in Midway, south of Durham.

The driver was finally taken into custody and booked at the Butte County Jail, the press release said.

The driver was identified as 22-year-old transient Timothy Jayne. Jayne was charged with two felony warrants, one misdemeanor warrant, felony evading a peace officer, driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, vehicle tampering, vehicle theft, and resisting arrest.

There were no injuries during this pursuit.

Angelina Mendez can be contacted at [email protected] or on Twitter @theorion_angie.