Fraternity offers to file taxes for free

bay.gif
Alpha Beta Psi, Courtesy Photo

Students from Chico State’s accounting fraternity want to do people’s taxes — for free.

Beta Alpha Psi is volunteering to help students and community members file their taxes from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Saturday in Bell Memorial Union, said Sue Maligie, faculty advisor and site coordinator for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program at Chico State.

People with an annual income of $50,000 or less can have their tax returns filed free of charge, Maligie said.

“It helps people who can’t afford it,” she said. “It also enhances the relationship of the campus and community.”

Students have the opportunity to apply their education from the classroom to a work environment while participating in community service, she said.

“It’s been a great learning experience,” said Gabe Penfield, a senior accounting major and the director of Beta Alpha Psi. “I’ve had the chance to help the community and students.”

Penfield said he plans to expand the program’s outreach into the community.

“I think we’re going to have a bigger impact this year,” he said.

Nathan Lehmann can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.