• Firefighters maintain efforts to quell flames. Photo taken by Shane Aweeka on March 1.

High-speed chase ends in collision and fatality

• Joshua Hamilton driving to the hoop.

Joshua Hamilton reaches 1,000 career points against San Bernardino.

• Orange cones block the entrance to the Dutch Bros on Esplanade. Photo taken by Amy Blair on Feb. 28.

Dutch Bros on Esplanade temporarily closed

• The student health center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays, and is closed for an hour each day from noon to 1 p.m. Courtesy: WellCat Health Center, taken by Jason Halley/University Photographer

Healthcare for students anytime, anywhere: all the WellCat has to offer

• Second Street from the B Line bus station. Taken by Maki Chapman on Feb. 28.

Backsliding on alcohol rules, or maybe moving forward

Wildcat Store seeks financial stopgap

bde1641b-0cfa-46e0-bc51-4979b489864d.jpg
The A.S. Wildcat Store, in a photo taken in the spring of 2013. The Orion file photo.

The Associated Students Wildcat Store is projected to lose more than $450,000 within the next three years, according to estimates shown Friday at the Associated Students Business Committee.

A proposed $150,000 cut to overhead costs like rent and utilities would make the Wildcat Store profitable for two years, said David Buckley, executive director of A.S.

The A.S. rents its facilities from the university, so these cuts would have to be made through negotiations with university representatives, Buckley said.

Other methods discussed were contracting an additional third-party vendor for product variety, working on and closing a contract with Verizon Wireless and remodeling the customer service area to make more space available in the store.

Other highlights of the meeting included:

• The A.S. has delayed the purchase of a $15,000 mobile food cart for Dining Services, but does still plan to purchase one. The delay was due to health regulations that differ depending on the food that is sold in the cart.
  • One vendor discussed for the library was Einstein Bros Bagels, which George Rankin, director of A.S. Dining Services, joked would be very appropriate for a library.

Enrique Raymundo can be reached at [email protected] or @ERaymundoCV on Twitter.