Last second stunner sinks ’Cats

IMG_0847.jpg
Rashad Parker looks to make a pass, while being double guarded.Photo credit: Grant Mahan

Acker Gym was stunned Friday night when the Chico State men’s basketball team lost at the buzzer against UC San Diego by a final score of 66-64.

In a game that felt like a 3-point shooting contest it would be a layup, foul, turnover, and 16-foot jumper all in the last 3.7 seconds that decided the game.

The ‘Cats and Tritons shot a total of 52 3-pointers. But in the second half UC San Diego went 7-14 beyond the arch while Chico State went 4-14.

The ‘Cats played strong in the first half and never trailed. Chico State would go into the half leading UC San Diego, 33-31.

But the second half was when the Tritons found its shot. With 7:02 left to go in the game, UC San Diego would hit back-to-back 3-pointers to tie and then get the lead for the first time all night.

It would go back and for the rest of the way. Jordan Semple would drive the ball in and make a layup to give Chico State the lead, 64-62 with 3.9 seconds to go. The Tritons would inbound the ball and immediately be fouled. Both free-throws would be made by Hunter Walker.

With 1.6 seconds left, Semple turned the ball over with an inbounds pass that touched no one, giving the Tritons the last shot of the game. Drew Dyer would hit a jumper that silenced Acker Gym and gave UC San Diego the victory.

Amir Carrway finshed with 17 points and nine rebounds. Giordano Estrada and Sean Park both would chip in 12 points of their own.

Chico State fell to 14-5 overall and 10-5 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association. The ‘Cats will try to bounce back as they host the 17-2 overall Cal State Bernardino Coyotes Saturday night.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or
@sergechez on Twitter