Staying Healthy in College: Physically and Mentally

A college student’s guide to maintaining physical and mental health

Most students are living away from their families for the first time. This includes cooking their own meals and making sure they get the right amount of nutrients. 

This can be hard for some students. Between going to class, studying for exams, maintaining relationships and making big decisions about their future, college students can quickly abandon crucial things such as physical and mental health.

A healthy lifestyle may not always be a student’s top priority. We have so much going on in our lives that sometimes it’s easier to eat leftover pizza for dinner than to cook a nutritious meal. 

Whether you’re looking to continue a healthy lifestyle or start a new one, this is the perfect time to learn. These tips will keep you feeling fit, lively and stress-free throughout the semester.

1. Learning to eat smart

Before you start running low on meal swipes and flex cash, make healthier choices more convenient by stocking your refrigerator with nutritious foods. You do not have to live off of the dining hall alone. Oatmeal packets, yogurt cups, fruits, vegetables and microwaveable soups are perfect for the days when you’re sick of cafeteria food.

2. Avoid Temptations

Pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner might sound like a good idea at the time, but trust me, your body won’t appreciate it as much. Instead of being tempted to eat all that junk food, switch it out for whole foods every once in a while. 

Also, avoid the temptation to skip any meals at all costs. Skipping meals is not a healthy alternative to eating junk food. Pack a lunch or make sure you keep snacks in your backpack for long days. 

3. Establish a routine 

We’re all busy throughout the week and committing to a routine is the best way to keep yourself stress-free. Make an attempt to establish a routine to help improve your self-discipline. It is crucial while trying to stay motivated and improve your well-being.

Getting into the habit of working out regularly, getting enough study time and maintaining a proper sleep schedule will only positively impact your semester.

4. Set personal goals

You likely have a general idea of what you want to achieve in school and in your personal life. Setting personal goals for yourself is a great way to help ensure your emotional and physical health stays stable. 

Well-being and maintaining your emotional health is vital to your success in college. Setting personal goals can help maintain this and your self-confidence. 

5. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

College can be discouraging and you might not meet all of your goals. Trust me, the world isn’t going to end if you fail one chemistry test. It may feel like it at the time, but find an opportunity to learn from every mistake. 

The challenges you face in these four years will end up paying off in the end. College is such an exciting and rewarding time. Learning how to take care of yourself, remembering to work hard, trying your best, and most of all, enjoying it, will help you succeed.