Track & field team continues to push through pandemic

Chico State Sports Information

Destiny Everett, a member of the long distance Chico State Track & Field team competes in an event.

Before COVID-19 shutdown sports in March, the Chico State Track and Field team had only competed in three events, including the Stanislaus State Kim Duyst International in Turlock.

Both the men and women’s team had finished in the top five in points in the Stanislaus State Kim Duyst International. The men’s team finished first with 136.65 points. The women’s team finished second with 139 points, just 15 points behind Fresno Pacific.

But now with the coronavirus pandemic still lingering, the track and field team had to find other ways to stay in shape. The track on campus is still closed until further notice.

“It’s hard not being on the track in an athletic environment because that’s what we really enjoy,” said Coach Robert Nooney. “What makes it tough is the virtual platform. The students are on Zoom all day everyday.”

While students are continuing their educational experience on Zoom, they are still finding ways to keep themselves active. Since most gymnasiums including the WREC are closed, athletes have turned to outdoor exercise to stay in shape.

“I’m making sure I’m getting out as often as possible to run,” said Destiny Everett, a long distance runner. “When the smoke hit and I wasn’t able to run, I did a lot of strength workouts. Anything to just keep maintaining fitness, so that moving forward I won’t feel like I’ve fallen too far behind.”

While athletes on the track and field team may not be together at school, they do find ways to maintain their relationships even during a pandemic.

“During this time, I hang out with my housemates which are all my teammates,” said Calvin Igbanoi, a high jumper. “There’s five of us. Every day we’ll usually just lift weights and run. Besides that, it’s just homework mainly. We’ll go on hikes.”

Calvin Igbanoi, a member of the Chico State Track & Field high jump team.

Nobody knows how long this pandemic will last for and when the student athletes will be able to get back on the field to play the games they love. With some students close to graduation, it’s possible that they may not get another chance to play sports at Chico State if the numbers of COVID-19 cases in Butte County continue to spike.

“What I’ll miss most about the Chico State Track and Field is the family dynamic,” Igbanoi said. “The coaches are very welcoming. I didn’t feel alone. When I came, they welcomed me with open arms and it just felt like a true family.”

Alex Martin can be reached at [email protected] or @alexmartinjour on Twitter.