Wildcats draw with San Marcos on Sunday

Photo courtesy of Matthew Bates/Chico State Athletics

Freshman Klayre Barres working to get to the ball before her opponent.

Sunday’s game was an offensive showing for the women’s soccer team. Despite the game ending in a scoreless tie against Cal State San Marcos, the Wildcats showed they are a threat in front of the goal. 

Coming off Friday’s victory, the Wildcats looked to close out their homestand with another win. Unfortunately, they settled for a draw. 

With a large crowd in attendance, there was an intensity level as the game progressed. The match became chippy, with a few cards being handed out. 

Coach Sutton seemed to remain calm and collected on the sidelines, trusting her players to get things done. 

Sutton said that on Sundays you have to bring more energy by getting the players on the bench cheering as well as the coaching staff. 

“We have really good leaders on the field and they are starting to feel it now that they’re in conference,” Sutton said. “It’s a good chemistry team and we trust them.” 

While the Wildcats were fighting for a goal in Sunday’s match, a goal wasn’t in the cards for the team. However, sophomore forward Madison Parsons views that as a positive moving forward. 

“The biggest takeaway from this past weekend has to be the relentlessness of this team,” Parsons said. “It didn’t matter what minute of the game or what the situation was, we continued to work hard until the final whistle.” 

Parsons said that every player on and off the field helped bring a certain energy to find success in both games. 

With an extended road trip ahead, Parsons believes this team can find ways to win, home or away. 

“We know that if we can play each game with the same energy as a home game,” Parsons said, “we will continue to find success regardless of where we play.” 

On the road however, it’s a different look for the Wildcats. With the men’s soccer team playing before them at University Stadium, many of them stay to cheer on the women’s team, as well as the occasional heckling toward the visiting team.

This support is something sophomore defender Nicole Fairbanks contributes to their overwhelming play against opponents at home. 

“Their constant cheering and support makes such a difference in the energy and intensity of play,” Fairbanks said. “It really excites us, which is why they are a big factor in the games where we get so close to goal over and over again.” 

Two road games this weekend will make preparation a bit harder. However, Fairbanks says the team will need to be sharper in every detail. 

Defender Nicole Fairbanks clearing the ball from the back.

“With two more games on the road this weekend, we don’t have as much time to prepare as we would like,” Fairbanks said. “We really need to make sure we are taking advantage of every minute we practice.” 

On the field preparation is just one way of getting game ready. 

“We also need to make sure we prepare ourselves off the field with things such as sleep and recovery, because long travel can take a toll on your body,” Fairbanks said. 

The Wildcats will travel to Cal State University Monterey Bay for their third conference game on Friday. Two days after, they will play Dominguez Hills on Sunday.

Mason Tovani can be reached at [email protected] or @masonmtovani on Twitter