Wildcats victory punches ticket into championship tournament

mensbasketball301.JPG
The Wildcat men’s basketball team beat Seattle Pacific University in the Carl’s Jr. Mac Martin Invitational on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013.

The Chico State men’s basketball team would not let Cal State Monterey Bay upset the team again as the ‘Cats held on to win Friday in a close game 87-80.

It was earlier in the season when Cal State Monterey Bay came to Acker Gym and stunned Chico State by going on a 15-2 run with just over four minutes to go in the game. Ending it with a 3-pointer at the buzzer and the victory.

It seemed the ‘Cats would be experiencing deja vu as the team would be up by 10 with 4:10 left to go. The Otters cut the deficit to within three with 2:18 remaining.

Jordan Semple and Giordano Estrada would grab crucial offensive rebounds and allowed second change points for the ‘Cats to extend their lead once again.
The victory Friday night gave head coach Greg Clink his 100th career win. He became the first Chico State men’s basketball coach to win 100 games in his first six seasons.

The ‘Cats had five players that scored in double figures. Rashad Parker led the team with 25 points while Giordano Estrada chipped in 13 of his own. Sean Park had 12 as well and both Amir Carraway Jordan Barton had 11 points apiece.

With the victory, Chico State clinched a berth in the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Tournament for the fifth straight season.

The ‘Cats improved to 18-5 overall and 14-5 in the CCAA. The final regular season road game for Chico State will be against Cal State East Bay Saturday night.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or
@sergechez on Twitter