Uncategorized

Wildcats softball team wins series, splits doubleheader on Saturday

softball2.jpg
First baseman Desiree Gonzales tries to make a play at first Friday against Cal State Stanislaus.Photo credit: Annie Paige

On Saturday afternoon, the Chico State softball team got the clutch hit it needed in the first game of a doubleheader and won 2-0, but during the second game they couldn’t overcome a five run deficit, on the way to a 11-3 loss to the Cal State Stanislaus Warriors.

The Wildcats won the four game series 3-1 against the Warriors, while coming home for the first time this season, improving their overall record to 6-7 and 4-4 in conference play.

“We’ll take the three wins because it’s really tough to win a series up and down the conference,” head coach Angel Shamblin said. “We will use that to boost our confidence going into Humboldt next weekend.”

Alex Molina gave up only three hits in a complete game shutout in the first of the doubleheader, striking out eight batters as well. The win moves her record to 3-3 in her six starts this season.

“I was just focusing on hitting my spots.” Molina said. “Honestly, just focusing on the catchers glove, not the batter and throwing hard.”

Catcher, Brynn Lesovsky came through in the bottom of the fourth inning with a two out, two-run double, and that was all Chico State needed for the win.

Shamblin said that she liked the way the team played in the first three games but in the last game a lack of pitching depth and errors really hurt them.

A two-run home run was hit over the center field wall by Melisa Robles that capped a four-run third inning for Cal State Stanislaus.

Chico State attempted a comeback in the bottom of the third inning being down five, with a two out three-run rally, to push the score 5-3. The Warriors then scored two in the fourth, and four in the fifth to seal the win of the final game of the series.

The Wildcats continue play Friday at 12:00 p.m. with a four game series at Humboldt State.

Chance Keenan can be reached at [email protected] or @chancelikelance on twitter.