Women lose Saturday to Cal State East Bay

womackweb.jpg
Junior guard Hannah Womack takes the ball up court during a game earlier this season.

The Chico State women’s basketball team came up short Saturday in a tough loss 63-60 to Cal State East Bay.

In the first half, the Pioneers and the Wildcats traded runs of 12 and 11 points in a tight game 30-24 at halftime.

In the second half, the ‘Cats battled back to gain an early lead 36-34 with the help of junior guard Annie Ward hitting a 3-pointer. Then, seniors McKenzie Dalthrop and Jazmine Miller converted a layup and a three-point play to bring the game to 61-60 Pioneers.

With 10 seconds remaining, the Wildcats fouled the Pioneers which hit both free throws to be up 63-60. With the final shot for the ‘Cats, Miller pulled up for a 3-pointer to tie the game but missed the mark.

Leading the team was Jazmine Miller who scored 15 points and senior guard Courtney Hamilton who recorded 12 points and dished out five assists.

Despite the loss, the ‘Cats heard good news that they will be one of the six teams competing in next month’s California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Championship Tournament.

The Wildcats are now 17-7 on the season and 13-7 in conference play. The ‘Cats next game is home Feb. 28 against Humboldt State at 5:30 p.m.

Benjamin Marquez can be reached at [email protected] or @bmarq2424 on Twitter.