Sweet sweep for ’Cats baseball team

BBall-6.jpg
A throw down from the catcher gets Chico State a beneficial out.Photo credit: Alex Boesch

The Wildcats combination of red hot offense and a pitching staff that only allowed one run made for another successful day at Nettleton Stadium.

The ‘Cats batted around for 14 hits, recording a new season high during the 9-1 win over Academy of Art.

Every starter contributed to the 14 hit day. Ruben Padilla and Clayton Gelfand led the charge having two hits apiece.

A four-run fifth inning paved the way for the ‘Cats to cruise the rest of the game.

“Lot of new guys first road trip so it was nice to get back home,” said Head Coach Dave Taylor. “Great weekend weather wise, very good attendance and our guys want to take care of business at home, so we did that.”

Luke Barker (1-0) picked up the win in his first start of the season. Barker put in six innings of work where he allowed just one run. Barker struck out four and walked one.

In 34 innings of work during the series, the ‘Cats pitching staff only allowed three runs. The performance lowered the team ERA to 2.42.

The win puts the Wildcats at 10-3 on the season.

Chico State will be back on the field Friday at 2:00 p.m. for a four-game series against Cal State Monterey Bay.

Ryan Grady can be reached at [email protected] or @RyanGrady23 on Twitter.