Arrest made after suspect drops gun in University Village parking lot

A man was arrested after reports of someone carrying an unloaded firearm at around 3:50 p.m. at University Village.

Chico and University Police departments were made aware of the disturbance by a witness report.

Chief of Police Christopher Nicodemus said the report described a subject who exited his vehicle and dropped what appeared to be a gun case. Shortly after, a gun fell out. The 70 year-old- man cooperated with authorities, but officers remained unsure of what he was doing on university property. 

Chico State’s Public Relations Manager, Andrew Staples, responded , “Yes, the subject was arrested almost immediately. All students, including those at UV, were alerted to the incident in an email from the [university] President.”

UV resident Tajah Bernstine was doing laundry when a bald man with a bright turquoise shirt walked past her. Right after, another person approached her and warned her about the incident.

“A maintenance guy walked in the laundry room and told us there was a guy on the property with a gun and confirmed it was the man I had seen,” Bernstine said.

Bernstine details she quickly went back into her unit and witnessed officers arrive. Although Bernstine was initially scared, she felt better with the officers’ quick response. 

“We responded to code three lights and sirens, and we arrived within minutes, we were directed to him. He was taken into custody without incident,” Nicodemus said. 

University President Stephen Perez sent students an email confirming the incident, the securement of the weapon and the security of UV residents. 

“There is no further threat to the complex, and it does not appear he was attempting to target any specific resident,” Perez said.

While applauding police departments’ quick response, some residents question if UV staff did their best to ensure student safety. 

“The only thing I don’t like is that on the Remind app, they didn’t tell us exactly what was going on, they just said stay inside,” Bernstine said.

Resident Ashley Robinson recalls the main entrance door opening without a student ID two days prior to the arrest. 

Robinson questioned if this was a possible reasoning to the suspects trespassing. “I think it could’ve been avoided if the entrance door actually worked.”

Since the investigation is ongoing Nicodemus said officers are talking to the suspect, gathering statements and reviewing surveillance footage.

Milca Elvira Chacon can be reached at [email protected].