Tough Saturday for ’Cats softball

Contreras.jpg
    Freshman Briana Contreras. Photo courtesy of Chico State.

The Chico State softball team were on the wrong end of a doubleheader Saturday in Humboldt as it lost game one 2-1 and game two 6-4.

Game one started off with the Wildcats scoring first. Sophomore outfielder Alli Cook singled in the first inning that scored in Sammi Ridgway. The Cats’ lead 1-0 but that didn’t last long.

The Lumberjacks came back quickly to to even up the game on a double by Andrea Chavez that scored in teammate Juile Pena, The score was 1-1 after two innings.

Runs in this game were at a premium while both teams only combined for 10 hits.

In the bottom of the 5th, WIldcats pitcher Alex Molina got into some trouble as she hit two straight batters. She managed to work her way out the hole and after 5 innings, the score remained tied.

It wasn’t until the bottom of the 7th inning where Humboldt would squeak out a win on a game winning RBI single by Tonya Walker.

Molina got credited with the loss with 4 hits, 2 earned on 4 walks and one strikeout.

Unlike the first game, which saw little offense, the second game picked up where the first lacked.

The Lumberjacks knocked around Wildcat pitcher Cheyenne Sandoval who would only last one inning after giving up three runs. By the end of the second inning, the score was 4-0 Humboldt.

The Wildcats would bring in sophomore pitcher Brooke Langeloh who would pitch the rest of the game.

By the end the third inning, the score was 5-0 Lumberjacks

The Wildcats would make a furious comeback in the 5th with runs scored by Briana Contreras, Emily McEnaney and Amanda Cordeiro. The Cats’ would only trail by one run after five innings making the score to 5-4.

The offense would run out of gas as the Wildcats lost game two 6-4.

The ’Cats are now 6-9 and will look for revenge Sunday at 9 a.m. for another scheduled doubleheader against the Lumberjacks.

Angelo Boscacci can be reached at
    [email protected] or @Boscacci6 on Twitter.