Cal Poly Pomona spoils senior night

SeniornightWEB.jpg
    The senior players of the Chico State basketball team line up with their families and are recognized for their accomplishments on the team.Photo credit: Annie Paige

In the final game of the regular season Chico State would have its senior night crashed by Cal Poly Pomona as the Broncos defeated the ‘Cats 69-66.

Chico State entered the night on a six-game winning streak and prior to the game honored seniors Giordano Estrada, Rashad Parker, Amir Carraway and Nate Appel as it would be their final game as players at Acker Gym.

With emotions riding high, the ‘Cats came out the first half ready to play. The ‘Cats were 8-14 from the 3-point line and caused the Broncos to turn the ball over 13 times. Chico State would go into the half with a comfortable lead 39-21.

The second would be a different story for the ‘Cats. The Broncos would outscore Chico State 28-10 in the first 12 minutes of the second half. The three ball that did not seem to miss for the ‘Cats the first half all of a sudden could not find the rim. Chico State shot 4-20 from beyond the arch the second half.

Cal Poly Pomona would apply full-court pressure for the first time during the second half and it was an adjustment that favored the Broncos. Chico State shot only 21.21% from the field in the second half while Cal Poly Pomona shot 55.88%.
    The Broncos led 54-52 with 6:22 remaining.

After a free throw would be made by the Broncos, Parker would hit a rare 3-pointer for Chico State to tie the game at 55 apiece. The ‘Cats would regain the lead by two until Jordan Finn hit a three to give the Broncos the lead for the rest of the night.

A three at the buzzer by Parker would fall short and the ‘Cats had to hand the victory to the Broncos.

“We struggled defensively from the start of the second half,” Estrada said. “We let them get to the rim and finish with ease. This was a game where we experienced a little bit of adversity and crumbled.”

Parker led Chico State with 19 points while Estrada put in 17 of his own. Fellow senior Sean Park had 11 while Jordan Semple also had 11 points. Jordan Barton finished the night with a career-high 13 rebounds.

Chico State finished the regular season 20-6 overall and 15-6 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association. The ‘Cats will play San Francisco State at 2:35 p.m. Thursday in the opening round of the CCAA Championship Tournament in Ontario.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or
    @sergechez on Twitter.