Student attacks two with machete

news

Teresa De Luz

A Chico State student wielding a machete punctured a weekend rife with crime.

Jeremy Shriver-Munsch, 21, reportedly attacked out-of-town visitors Davlin Hall and John Bragg with a machete after a fistfight Saturday night at the corner of West Fifth and Walnut streets, said Sgt. Rob Merrifield of Chico Police Department. Shriver-Munsch has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

In an attempt to take the machete away from Shriver-Munsch, one of the victims received a laceration to his left hand while the other suffered bruises and a loose tooth, according to a Chico Police Department press release. The cause of the altercation is currently under investigation.

Shriver-Munsch was released from Butte County Jail Saturday. His court date is set for Dec. 3.

Shriver-Munsch said the fight started because he was jumped, but declined to comment further until after his court date.

Chico State officials do not generally comment on cases involving students that occur off campus, said Joe Wills, director of public affairs and publications.

The police were involved in numerous other incidents over the weekend.

Forty-three subjects were booked between 5 p.m. Friday and noon on Sunday, Merrifield said. Twenty drunk in public, 10 DUI and four drug possession charges were among the incidents police responded to.

When police have multiple cases in one night to prioritize, their response to more important calls is crucial, Merrifield said.

“All the cases are different,” he said. “I don’t really think there was anything unusual about any of them other than we were really busy over the weekend.”

Three burglaries also occurred over the course of the weekend. One involved three Chico residents Jamal Hines, 19, Darryl Williams, 20, and Edwin Roberts, 19.

Hines and Williams were actively involved in the robbery of an apartment on 420 Nord Ave. Sunday evening, Merrified said. After further investigation, police found Roberts in the suspect’s residence with stolen property, which included a laptop.

Teresa De Luz can be reached at

[email protected]