Debate brings June measure to center stage

news

Bryan Clendon

The debate over the controversial Measure A heated up May 4 as the two sides squared off with only about a month left before June’s special election.

The measure, which proposes that Chico’s annual municipal election is changed from November to June, has sparked a lot of debate on both sides.

Opponents argue the measure would not allow students on summer vacation to vote and therefore lead to a lower voter turnout. They also argue that it would cost the city an additional $73,000 each year, since Chico would also have to host a November election for statewide and federal issues.

Proponents dispute many of these claims, stating that local issues should be separate from state and national measures in order for voters to focus more on those topics. They also argue that it would give fiscal conservatives a better chance at winning the municipal election, which would save the city money in these economic times.

More conservative voters show up for June elections statistically, said Brian Ray, president of the Chico State Democratic Club.

In addition, proponents argue that if students want to vote before they leave for summer vacation, they can simply vote by mail.

“If I’m smart enough to know when my finals dates are, I’m smart enough to know to vote in June,” said Ryan Fedrizzi, president of the Chico State Republicans Club.

Measure A founders Caroline and Thomas Dauterman have spent more than $80,000 in support of the measure, according to a Stop Measure A press release.

Other participants present in the debate were Chico City Council member Andy Holcombe, a critic of the measure, and outspoken Measure A supporter Stephanie Taber.

The debate was divided into three general sections – democracy, economy and community. Each debater had three minutes to explain how the measure would or would not improve these three areas.

The second portion of the debate was dedicated to answering questions from community members.

Political science professor Charles Turner moderated the debate, which was sponsored by the Butte County League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political group that aims to educate voters on issues and encourage participation in government, according to their website.

The special election will be held on June 7.

<strong>Bryan Clendon can be reached at</strong>

<em>[email protected]</em>